Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Salt Clay Ornaments
How cute are these salt clay ornaments?

I was looking for something inexpensive (I need more than 400) I could create for the residents of our
local Veterans Hospital and came up with these!
 
Here's what you'll need:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup salt
1 cup warm warter
rolling pin
cookie cutter in your choice of shape
acrylic paint in your choice of color
*optional I used metallic powder also
   
Mix ingredients and knead for about 5 minutes.  I found that if your dough gets a little sticky, just dust with a bit more flour.
  
Roll to your desired thickness.  I made mine pretty thin since I need so many. Remember, it's ok to dust with more flour if things get sticky.
  
Next use your cookie cutter to cut shapes.  I like the old metal ones best. (Thanks Mom Hickey). Dip them in....yep....you guessed it MORE flour to keep the shape from getting stuck inside the cookie cutter. Once you get as many shapes as you can re-roll out the dough and cut again.
  
I love the little scalloped edges on these.  Don't worry about the extra flower on your ornaments now, you can dust them off once they are dry.
I used the bottom of this glass to get the 3-D design you see in the very first picture.  You could use anything really. Stamps work wonderfully.  Don't forget to dust with flour!
 
Just a little pressure, you don't want to squish your shape.
 
TA-DA!! I love these!
 
As you can see I have poked holes into the ornaments before putting then into the oven.  I just used a toothpick and  spun it around a little to make the hole a bit larger.  Finally, into the oven at 200' for about an hour for thin ornaments.  Keep checking them, they will harden as they dry. After cooled and dried, paint however your heart desires and dust with pigment powder if you wish.  Then finish with any glaze or clear gloss. Enjoy!

☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。

Click HERE for lots of other freebies, giveaways, DIY projects, sweepstakes and more!!

☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.



No comments:

Post a Comment